Sunday, June 9, 2013

Faith IS like a seed...

While there is much updating in general I should be doing on this blog, I'm just going to write about a few experiences today that I feel like sharing. (an update might come at the end, or in another post soon).
Today during Relief Society I all the sudden really wanted to bear my testimony... BUT today isn't fast and testimony Sunday. So, I decided to grace you all with it here on the blog instead :) Lucky you!

So about 3 weeks ago Adam and I were talking about all the things we wanted to get done before Chloe came (potty training William being one of them), and I just told him I was too overwhelmed with everything else to try to potty train 3 weeks before a new baby arrived. He told me it was up to me and if I decided not to that was fine. The next day on Monday morning I was all caught up in trying to make the decision when I decided to include the Lord. (I didn't think of it before because it just seemed like a small thing that I didn't need to pray about to decide to do it). But as soon as I started to pray and discuss my concerns both ways, I started to feel a strong desire to just start and go for it. So I got done, got up, and walked out to the living room with a garbage bag and told William we were going to throw away all his cloth diapers because he was going to start going pee and poo in the potty now (he had fallen in love with this potty movie before-hand so I'm pretty sure he understood where I was going with it, plus we had been "casually" having him do his duty in the potty for a while now. Also, we just pretended to throw the diapers away).

Details aside, I found I was really too tired to potty train diligently, and it was hard for me to be as consistent as I needed to be. I really felt incapable of doing what seemed to be an insurmountable task! I prayed constantly for Heavenly Father to help and guide me, and there were many a moments where I completely regretted trying to potty train him.

Now, at the same time, Adam and I finally came to the point where we were able to plant our grass seed. Not too many days after planting and watering it like crazy, we were already starting to loose hope (even though it takes like 8 to 10 days to germinate). One day I found myself watering and thinking about how it really is hard to believe that such a big result--like a full lawn--can come from just tiny seeds that seem like they're doing nothing for days and days being watered 4 times a day (by hand I might add), and being hit by a full hot sun in-between. (it also didn't help to see birds picking at the seed all the time and watching some weeds come in faster than the seed could germinate...). I also compared it to how William was doing with potty training. I just had to do all I could and continue doing those things while I waited for the "seed" to take place and grow in his mind to show he was catching on.
And there came a point in both endeavors where we just wanted to give up. Wednesday was the point in potty training (we had been at it for 9 days). Yesterday afternoon was the point with the grass as Adam and I both noticed more weeds and no grass yet.
But I felt I had to give William a few more days, and I told Adam we at least had to give the seeds the full germinating period before we broke down and bought sod :)-
As it turned out, the next few days with William proved what he needed. And soon after the grass discussion, I decided to go out and look REAL closely at the grass seed--low-and-behold little grass sprouts were everywhere! And are even bigger already today.

And as I read from the lesson today, a quote by Lorenz Snow, it had a special meaning for me. It said,

"When things come up that require an exertion on our part, we should bring our wills into subjection to the will of the Father, and feel to say, what is the will of our Father, whom we are here in the world to serve? Then every act that we perform will be a success. We may not see its success today or tomorrow, nevertheless it will result in success."


And that is basically my testimony: that there are many things that happen in our lives that require a lot of exertion (like, a LOT of exertion) and if we pray to seek God's will in all those things He will guide us and help us succeed.

John 5:30 "I can of mine own self do nothing."


The End (actual update to come in a few days)






No comments:

Post a Comment